by Elle Middaugh
(The Essential Elements, #1)
Valerie Moore was a beautiful, headstrong girl with below-average social skills and above-average anxiety (including a flair for over-analyzing).
With her mother long deceased, and her father recently deployed, she ends up being sent to live with her eccentric aunt in a tiny town nestled in the mountains of Pennsylvania. But, being a Navy brat had made her into a bit of a loner, and making friends certainly wasn’t her strongest suit. As if the life of a typical teen wasn’t hard enough.
But Valerie soon discovers she’s not a typical teenager. Not by a long shot.
SECRETS are revealed…
…About her family, about her newfound friends and relationships, and about her whole world… Things that have been kept from her for her entire life…
But the biggest secret of all is revealed when Valerie discovers that she has Elemental powers, and a chain of inexplicable and irrevocable events unleashes throughout the little town…
Elle Middaugh was kind enough to let us in on her secret
while writing ELEMENTAL!
I had actually created a playlist on my phone entitled: Elemental 1 (for simplicity lol) which contained 65 songs. I started off with just a few and it continued to grow from there. To save us all a bit of time, I think I’ll just provide the more important half, lol! Most of these songs were simply mood music for me and had virtually nothing to do any particular scene. Others, I imagined in specific places as a sort of soundtrack.
- “Intro” by The xx
(This song is instrumental, but the feelings that swirl around inside of me when I hear it proves that sometimes words are better left unspoken. I love The xx!)
- “Islands” by The xx
- “Night Time” by The xx
- “Two Weeks” by FKA Twigs
- “Midnight City” by M83
- “Bloodstream” by Stateless
(In general, I feel like this song encompasses how Valerie feels about Cade)
- “Fade Into You” by Mazzy Star
- “Hayling” by FC Kahuna
- “As The Rush Comes (Gabriel And Dresden Chillout Mix) by Motorcycle
- “Pumped Up Kicks” by Foster The People
- “Summertime Sadness” by Lana Del Rey
- “Blue Jeans” by Lana Del Rey
- “Miracle” by Blackmill
- “Hear Me Out” by Frou Frou
- “Breathe Me” by Sia
- “Help I’m Alive” by Metric
- “Sweet Talk” by Kito featuring Reija Lee
(I played this song on repeat during the football game/ marching band scene. It’s not exactly typical band music material, but it’s catchy!)
- “The Funeral” by Band Of Horses
- “Lapdance” by N.E.R.D. featuring Lee Harvey and Vita
(This is the song I picture during the scene where they get drunk, drive out to Cade’s house, and trash the place. It’s Chase’s mood music lol)
- “It’s Only” by Odesza featuring Zyra
- “Say My Name” by Odesza featuring Zyra
(I love this song beyond reasonable measure lol it’s what I pictured playing during the epic Valerie-Holden-first-kiss scene!)
- “Afterglow (Akira Kiteshi Remix)” by Phaeleh featuring Soundmouse
(They literally sing “taking control of the elements, making it mine, making it mine.” How cool is that!?)
- “Radioactive (Unlimited Gravity Remix) by Imagine Dragons
- “GDFR” by Flo Rida featuring Sage the Gemini and Lookas
- “Crave You (Adventure Club Dubstep Remix) by Flight Facilities
- “Love Me Like You Do” by Ellie Goulding
- “Female Robbery” by The Neighborhood
- “W.D.Y.W.F.M?” by The Neighborhood
- “Alleyways” by The Neighborhood
- “Sweater Weather” by The Neighborhood
And here she is. . .
Elle Middaugh is a newly published author, born in the sticks outside of Clearfield, Pennsylvania. After moving around the east coast a number of times, she now lives in her hometown with her husband and three children.
Reading has been a favorite past time since Elementary School and choose-your-own-adventure books. Writing has been her dream since Middle School when she first began penning her own material. Being published is the most awesome achievement in her writing career so far, but she hopes for more exciting landmarks and stepping stones in the future!
She’s a proud Navy wife; a frazzle-brained mother; a homebody who dislikes cleaning; a fan of tennis, and fitness in general; a lover of hot tea, mountain dew, and all things fiction; and she’s a bigger My Little Pony fan than her children.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway